It's now a couple weeks past, but Memorial Day weekend was a busy one for us. Hadley Rose was baptized on Sunday and Erin's friend Tara and my brother Dave both flew in to be her godparents. Dave came in Thursday night and he and I headed out to the Mill Friday morning to try and catch some fish. I was excited to fly fish for the first time in over a year and brought an 8 weight Sage RPLXi I've had on loan from a friend for so long I should just buy the thing. I hooked into a nice crappie on my second cast and figured it would be the first of many. Wrong. I didn't even have a strike after that and spent most of the morning watching Dave work it hard with only one small bass and tiny gar in return. I should have figured. The river's been high most of this spring and the water had just come down. The level was right but the color was wrong. I told Dave we were probably 24 hours early and look forward to at least one good day out there this summer. Dave and I left the Mill around noon to pick Tara up at the airport, stopping for Lion's Choice on the way. Friday night we took it easy and grilled at our place.
On Saturday, the Krewet's took Tara to the Missouri Botanical Garden. I hadn't been there in years and we all had a blast in the kid's garden. Amighetti's was the logical choice for lunch and that night we headed to the folks' to check out my mom's new kitchen and let them cook for us.
Sunday was Hadley's big day and lots of Krewets were in attendance. Hadley was a champ and made it through awake and smiling as usual. We had a little party at our place afterwards and everyone had a great time. Our only mistake was not ordering enough Jimmy John's sandwiches. Or maybe not telling Dave and Bob to take it easy. Later, we figured those two alone ate 20% of the little subs.
A trip to the zoo was planned for Monday morning but rain forced us to change things up and we headed to the Magic House instead. And again, another place I hadn't been in years. Dave joined us as well and the highlight for me was watching he and Madeleine squeeze through one of the many tunnels.
This was the short long story. It was a great weekend and we were so happy to have Dave and Tara share it with us.
As always, a few pics:
Dave's leetle gar:

Botanical Gardens:
Butch & Smiley:
Baptism and the aftermath:
No comments:
Post a Comment