Thursday, June 25, 2009

Fish, Father's Day, & Stuff

Erin's already posted about our recent weekend's events, but I felt the need to elaborate. Two weekend's ago, Paco, Dominique, kids, and dogs hosted their first (hint, hint) fish fry of the year. As usual, it was fantastic.

Erin's already mentioned it, but I took advantage of her and the girls being at a baby shower and rode out to "the farm." I felt a little bit toolish, riding a carbon road bike in team kit west on Clayton. Not because of the bike or fashionable lycra, but because on my back was my ancient, faded, purple and turqoise Dana Designs 'Bomb Pack' with a Sage fly rod sticking out the top. But really, who cares? And if anyone knew where I was headed, they would have been jealous. In reality, I wasn't even sure if it was going to work at first, as the setup was clumsy with the case sticking out quite a bit, but after a mile or so I barely noticed it. And I felt much better as I waved to Eddie (aka Nico Toscani) riding east in team gear, also carrying a pack with something (it looked like a tennis racket?) sticking out. Waving (no, shouting "ED-DIEEEEEE!!!") is part of why I love cycling and racing in particular. I've met so many neat people over the years and see at least a couple every time I get on a bike.

At Paco's, the fishing was unbelievable as usual. Jim, Paco, and I caught what we needed for dinner (probably 20 fish) in maybe an hour, throwing at least that many back. The place really is nuts, and it's always a treat to get to fish there. Looking into the lake with the sun at my back, you could see the bass fighting for your lure. I caught the only fish that wasn't a largemouth and it was an enormous bluegill, almost as tall as my hand. I also hooked what would have probably been the biggest largemouth I've ever caught but stupid me had tighted my drag on my previous cast (to haul in a small one through the moss) and forgot to reset it. I saw the monster strike and it broke my 4 lb test as soon as it hit. Oops.

The weekend after the fish fry (last weekend as I write this) was Father's Day weekend. On Father's Day morning, my mom came over to watch Hadley, and Erin, Madeleine and I rode over to Grant's Trail. We had just bought Erin a new Trek FX series hybrid/29r when she got pregnant, so Sunday's ride was her first in over a year. She was a little cautious at first but soon got back into the swing of things and our roundtrip ride was ~15 miles. All of us had a great time and I can't wait until Hadley can join us.

Last week also saw Madeleine's last day of daycare before she heads to her new school. It's sad for us all but time to move on. And we're happy knowing Hadley is in good hands.

Madeleine and I headed over to Grant's Trail again tonight but just as we got to the trail, she fell asleep. So I turned around and headed to the Custard Station. She woke up when we arrived and she heard me say "ice cream." Big suprise. After our usual Oreo cement, we headed to Kirkwood Park to burn off the extra calories.


A few pics from all the fun:

"OK, I think we have enough":



Bike rack or fish rack?:



Paco at work:



Largemouth heaven:



The girls at the "gym":



Holly, one of Madeleine's teachers since Day 1:



Yolanda, also from Day 1, now with Hadley, and one of the best people ever. Madleine loves her, clearly:



Father's Day ride:



Hoosie'ing it up in the front yard in Glendale:



Big and little sisters:



More rock climbing action:

No comments: