Thursday, November 19, 2009

Berryman Epic & A Family Hike

I created this blog shortly after finishing the 2008 Berryman Epic mountain bike race. It's hard to believe a year has passed. I raced the 2009 version of the BTepic almost a month ago but am just now getting around to a post. 2010 should be here in no time.

I had high hopes for the 2009 BTepic. In 2008, I finished in roughly 5 hours and 20 something minutes, good enough for 14th overall and 2nd single speed. Hadley's arrival in February put riding on the backburner once again, but I figured I'd be in shape by October. I figured wrong. With one of the rainiest October's on record, this year's course was a wet mess. I finished 25 minutes slower than last year and can't blame it on conditions.

The race started out ok for me. I did my usual slow start and then worked my way up towards the front. By the second checkpoint (~1/2 into the 56 mile race), I was in roughly 15th place out of 120 or so that finished. I had just caught GORC's Larry, and he and I were chatting it up and having a good time riding together. Then I flatted. I run tubes with more psi than what most people would run, but don't flat much. It took me more than a few minutes to fix the flat and then I just couldn't get going again. I lost a half dozen spots fixing the flat and then maybe 10 more on the next long road section. I've never lost anywhere near that many spots in a long race before. I was able to gain a good number back in the next section of singletrack, only to lose most again in the final 6 road miles to the finish. The end result was 31st place and 6th ss.

Since everyone always makes excuses about why they could/should have done better, mine are as follows. In the week preceding the race: four days of work training (and playing) in Chicago, a sick kid, an injured kid, a trip to the airport at 4:30 AM the day before, and a Dad at home by himself with sick kid. That week, and about a combined 2 dozen rides/races in 2009. Oh well, there's always 2010. Good thing it will be here quickly.

A couple weeks later, Erin and I took the kids and dog out to the Lewis & Clark trail for a short hike. Madeleine hiked some and rode the rest in the "big backpack," while Erin carried Hadley. We were quite a sight and drew a number of comments, but it was a beautiful day and everyone had a great time.

Pics:

Start:



Mid-race:



Finish:



Lewis & Clark Family Hike:









No comments: