Sunday, July 12, 2009

Dirt Crits & Round 2 of the Birthday Parties

This past Thursday was the second week of Ralph's Dirt Crits at Castlewood. The July 2nd race was my first race of the season (2nd MTB ride for 2009) and my goal was to finish. All I can really say is I mission accomplished. This week's goal was to pick off a few more riders and that I did. I would suck at road racing (or at least crit racing) and the dirt crits are similar. Short, fast courses with zero uphills and zero downhills. Not my style of riding, but fun. My goal for next week is to move up a few more spots. Within the next couple weeks I would like to be where I usually am- chasing the fast guys- and then (if not before), doing the same back on the SS. The big goals are this fall...

Of course, the racing itself is just part of the fun of the dirt crits. These are as spectator friendly as they get and, as usual, Erin brought the girls. I heard Madeleine cheer "Go Daddy!" a few times in between laps and it was awesome. After my race, we all hung out, ate hot dogs (thanks Pfoodman!), and watched the B and C races. Madeleine and I cheered the C race on from the creek crossing with her cheering "GO, GO, GO!!!" as loud as she could. That, too, was awesome. And hilarious. More than a couple of racers chuckled as they rode past, probably feeling guilty by being coached by a barely two year old.

Yesterday was round two of Madeleine's "TWO BIRTHDAY PARTIES!!!" and we all had a great time. I set up the waterfest that Aunt's Ann and Sally gave Madeleine, along with a couple baby pools, and we turned the kids loose. Lucy, Alicia, Sid, Sophie, and Connor all helped Madeleine party and what a party it was. Not counting the pool-time, highlights included watching the kids eat the chocolate chip cookie cake, and watching Madeleine lay a big fat kiss on Connor. I joked I didn't kiss like that until I was 18, though I'm not so sure it was really a joke?

As always, a few pics:

At the start of Thursday's A race, I suggested/joked to teammate CP, who was sporting his helmet cam, that he should give everyone a head start, you know, for drama. I didn't think he would take me seriously. He did, and he still cleaned house. And congrats to Chris for earning another State Champ jersery at yesterday's race. Couldn't go to a nicer guy.



Cheering on the racers "ON DAD'S SHOULDERS!!!":



Outside in PJ's and up way too late:



"Lucy, this was cool a minute ago when you had it on your head":



Kickin' it at the pool:



Note Dad and Hadley, both having bottles:



Cookie Monster herself:

No comments: