Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Tour of Missouri

Yesterday brought the first stage of the Tour of Missouri to St. Louis. For all you non-cyclists... no Jim did not ride in it. There are only a handful of other races outside of Europe that are the same level as this race. The best sprinter in the world right now (although definitely not the nicest) is here in Missouri this week riding along with many other top cyclists. I am very excited that we got to watch yesterday and keeping my fingers crossed that somehow this race is able to come back next year. Many of my favorites were riding yesterday although I was only able to pick out Big George and Levi as they sped by.

Thanks to Sean and Nicole, we had an excellent spot to watch as the riders came down a hill and made a quick right turn. Their hospitality was great and I know everyone had a really good time. There was a great DRJ turnout... in fact everyone was joking it was a better turnout then at their actual races.

Madeleine was excited to go to a bike race and when I told her she would need to say "Go George", she responded "No, I say Go Daddy". She rang her cowbell like a champ but I think was most impressed by the all the motorcycles.

We didn't get to see the end but unfortunately Christian Vandevelde, last year's champ and probably my second favorite, crashed and broke his hand. The race continues this week accross Missouri to Kansas City. Hopefully the politicans in Jeff City will realize what a great event this is for the whole state and work together to bring it back next year. Since I don't see any chance of that happening, I better hope a corporation will decide to sponsor it as Amgen has the Tour of California. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but sad that this was probably my last chance to see this type of racing in my home state. Guess we will have to plan a July trip to France!

Madeleine and Jim started off the day with a 23 mile bike ride. Baby Madeline also went along for the ride.

Madeleine in her USPS jersey... I have been waiting for her to wear this since before she was born... Thanks Jim and Patty!
Here comes the peleton
The whole family... hard to tell but Hadley is sporting a Tour of MO shirt from the first race

No comments: